Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income through affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
A super simple, easy and delicious White Vegan Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread recipe that is also yeast-free, nut-free, oil-free, and stores exceptionally well!
I truly could not wait to share this one with you guys! This recipe came about when I wanted to make a sandwich bread for the kiddos that didn't have a ton of rising time with yeast to wait out + I had a bag of cassava flour I had been meaning to put to use. The result? A super well-held together gluten-free vegan white bread loaf with the perfect bit of fluffiness that also stores like a dream! I've since made this bread numerous times -- it is our go-to for PB & J sandwiches..the kiddos adore it and I hope you do, too!
Vegan Gluten Free Yeast Free Bread Recipe
This Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread is:
- Soft, fluffy, and spongy with a strong crust - not unlike store-bought sandwich bread.
- Super easy to make with a simple one bowl prep.
- Stores well and maintains its moisture level a.k.a. doesn't dry out immediately (like many gluten-free loaves)!
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, and yeast-free.
What Ingredients are Needed to Make Gluten-Free Vegan Sandwich Bread?
- All-purpose gluten-free flour, cassava flour.
- Baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Psyllium husk fiber.
- Water, apple cider vinegar.
- Maple syrup (optional).
Top Tips for Making White Vegan Gluten-Free Yeast-Free Nut-Free Sandwich Bread
I do not recommend replacing either of the flours in this recipe. They both serve unique purposes and work well together! The gluten-free all purpose flour in this recipe can be one either with or without xanthan gum. I like to use this one from Bob's Red Mill, but I've successfully tested it with a few different brand with great results!
I consider psyllium husk fiber to be the secret ingredient in this recipe. Psyllium husk fiber not only adds structure and helps the whole loaf hold together sans traditional binders, but it also adds a soft, spongy texture similar to store-bought sandwich bread and also helps keep the loaf moist while stored.
I find the slightest touch of sweetness added by the maple syrup to create a greater depth of flavor in the loaf but it can easily be omitted if need be for a still-tasty loaf! Alternatively, it can also be replaced with honey, agave syrup or sugar-free maple syrup for similar results.
This gluten-free bread can easily be customized to suit your tastes and needs. A few ways I like to enjoy this loaf:
- With a handful of raisins, a dash of coconut sugar, and a sprinkle of cinnamon tossed in.
- With minced garlic, italian seasoning and a some shredded cheese (regular dairy or vegan cheese).
- With cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and chopped pickled jalapeños.
- With a variety of seeds -- hemp seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds sprinkled in the batter and on top of the loaf.
This bread makes great:
- Sandwich bread.
- Sweet and savory loaves for enjoyment on their own (see ideas above).
- Bread to serve on the side of soups and chilis.
This bread keeps well lightly covered (I like to wrap in a tea towel or place in a vented storage container) at room temperature for 3-5 days. Any longer and I like to freeze slices of the loaf in freezer safe containers for up to 6 months. I simply pull out slices as I need them and let them thaw at room temperature until ready to use.
More Gluten-Free Bread Recipes
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Gluten-Free Vegan Sandwich Bread Recipe (Yeast-Free, Nut-Free, Oil-Free)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk fiber
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water or 2 cups, please see notes below
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, psyllium husk fiber, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Add water, vinegar and optional maple syrup. Stir until all is smooth and well combined.
- Pour bread batter into a greased or parchment lined loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the loaf is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.