This Vegan Green Lentil Curry recipe can be in an Instant Pot pressure cooker or on the stovetop for one quick, easy, healthy and delicious Indian inspired dish!
A good curry is my kind of comfort food, and my go-to when I do not feel like cooking very much. Throw a few flavorful ingredients together, and you can have one healthy and delicious meal ready to enjoy right away or have on hand to enjoy throughout the week. It’s a win all around, and this delightful green lentil coconut curry is no exception.
Green Lentil Curry
This Vegan Green Lentil Curry for Instant Pot or Stovetop is:
Super easy to make.
Bursting with big flavors, and delightful textures.
Packed with protein and fiber.
Great enjoyed right away, or meal prepped for some excellent leftovers.
Gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free.
What Ingredients are Needed to Make Green Lentil Curry?
A special spice blend.
Apple cider vinegar.
How-to Make Instant Pot Lentil Curry - Step by Step
Top Tips for Making Green Lentil Curry
Can I use brown lentils instead of green lentils?
Yes. No further adjustments necessary.
The coconut sugar can be replaced with any sweetener of your choosing.
For a sugar-free lentil curry, we love this sugar-free sweetener.
Thrive Market makes my absolute favorite canned coconut milk.
Vinegar can be replaced with lemon juice if you would prefer.
If you prefer a creamier and wetter curry (more like a dal), stir in 1/2 cup-1 cup more of coconut milk at the very end right before serving.
How Do I Serve Green Lentil Curry?
On its own.
More Lentil Recipes
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest's "tried it" feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I'll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Green Lentil Curry (Instant Pot + Stovetop)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk +optional extra; see ‘Tips’ above
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set your Instant Pot to saute mode. Add oil and chopped onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add spices (curry through red chili flakes). Stir. Let saute for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and coconut milk. Stir.
- Add water. Stir.
- Place lid on, set valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Press cancel, release steam and remove lid.
- Stir in vinegar. Salt to taste.
- Optionally (see ‘Tips’ section above in post), stir in extra coconut milk.
- Serve and enjoy!
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil and onion. Saute for five minutes.
- Add spices (curry through red chili flakes). Stir and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, milk and 2 ½ cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat down to a simmer. Let simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been reduced.
- Stir in vinegar. Salt to taste. Optionally, stir in extra coconut milk (see ‘Tips’ section above in post).
- Serve and enjoy!